Adult shower and changing table – the accessible bathroom solution
An adult shower and changing table is a fundamental aid for adults with disabilities or mobility limitations and their caregivers. For adults who deal with incontinence, mobility limitations and developmental disorders, the shower and changing table provides a sanitary, comfortable and safe space for assisted changing.
For caregivers and relatives caring for their loved ones, the shower and changing table provides a secure and stable platform, the use of which reduces the risk of injuries and makes the caring situation more comfortable for everyone.
Why have an adult shower and changing table?
Adult shower and changing tables, also called shower benches, nursing tables or nursing benches, are an indispensable aid for many elderly or disabled people in both private and public settings. They can be used to assist in changing clothes, incontinent aids, bandages, as well as various other tasks. Most importantly, they can provide a stable surface for adults and children when they need changing.
If you want to know more about why an adult shower and changing table is so important, watch the video below. We will let it speak for itself.
Please accept all cookies to watch this video. Click here to change cookie consent.
Please accept all cookies to watch this video. Click here to change cookie consent.
A shower and changing table is part of an accommodating restroom. It makes it possible for families to go out more and to stay when there is a need for an assisted changing space instead of isolating themselves at home where using the bathroom is not an issue.
It makes it possible for caregivers to care without injuring themselves. It is worthwhile in every way. A shower and changing table is a good investment and is a popular choice for a large variety of venues:
- Retirement communities
- Assisted living homes
- Other public places
- Private residences
An adult changing bed from Pressalit is safe for both users and caregivers.
It is easy to adjust the height of the changing bed, in this example by using a wall mounted control panel.
What is the best shower and changing table?
Which shower and changing table is the best depends on your needs. Do you need to equip a family restroom, which will be used by a large variety of people or do you care for an individual with special needs at home?
Who the user is – and how many users there are – are essential to keep in mind when choosing the right shower and changing table. With many years of experience, we have some specific advice on what you should also consider.
Height-adjustable shower and changing tables
A shower and changing table that can go up and down is beneficial to both the user and the caregiver. The table can lower to accommodate user transfer. Users who can assist in transfers are then more likely to take part in their own care and retain a higher degree of dignity. Then the table rises to a working height which is both comfortable and ergonomic for the caregiver.
A height-adjustable shower and changing table is the ideal choice if you want an ergonomic solution that is safe and comfortable for both user and caregiver. It is ideal when different users and/or different caregivers use the table or when it is used for different purposes that require different working positions.
Adult shower and changing tables with fixed height
A shower and changing table that is not adjustable can be sufficient if it is installed with a specific caregiver’s ergonomic situation in mind.
If it is wall mounted, you must consider the height of the changing table when mounting it – and that is the challenging part because:
- If it is installed with the ease of the user to transfer in mind, it might force the caregiver to bend deeply to assist the user.
- If it is installed with a specific caregiver’s ergonomic situation in mind, it might require another installation – of, for example, a mechanical lift – in order for the user to get on the table safely.
The fixed-height shower and changing table is ideal if it is used by the same user and caregiver in private homes or in open public restrooms.
Mobile shower and changing tables
A freestanding and mobile shower and changing table provides a high degree of flexibility - especially if it is height adjustable. The high level of flexibility means that the room can be designed to suit the individual care situation so that the user does not have to be limited in the daily routine. Likewise, it provides the carer with the best working conditions, minimizing inappropriate working postures and daily lifts.
In situations where there is a need to move the shower and changing table in different situations, a mobile shower and changing table is ideal. Especially when it can be moved sefely and stably whilst the user is lying on it. In this way, the number of transfers can be minimized.
A height adjustable and mobile shower and changing table is the ideal choice when designing a room that must accommodate different people with different needs. Mobile shower and changing tables are popular solutions at schools, in public venues, at hospitals and private homes.
The benefits of adult shower and changing tables
Beds and other surfaces are not customized to assisted changing situations, but shower and changing tables are. Therefore, shower and changing tables have a number of advantages over beds and other surfaces.
- Shower and changing tables from Pressalit are designed with the user and caregiver in mind. This means that they accommodate the natural movements of both users and caregivers. The ergonomic design reduces the strain caused by maneuvering or bending over deeply.
- Shower and changing tables from Pressalit are sanitary, as they are designed to be hygienic. The surfaces are easy to clean for superior hygiene and they can withstand effective cleaning agents.
- They are safe for both users and caregivers. The Pressalit shower and changing tables provide a secure and stable surface for assisted changing of adults as well as children. Safety rails and elaborate test methods are just two of the things that make shower and changing tables from Pressalit safe and comfortable.
- They have multiple uses and can be adapted for a given room and specific user. Most of our shower and changing tables are designed for use with water. Because of the high hygiene level and the ergonomic design, the shower and changing tables can be used to bathe adults as well as children and not just for assisted changing situations.
- Shower and changing tables make the care situation dignified and comfortable for the user. Restrooms in public places have featured baby changing tables for a long time and are very helpful to parents with small children or babies. However, parents and caregivers of children and adults who cannot use baby changing tables have no options for assisted changing in many restrooms other than changing their patients or loved ones on a restroom floor. Changing individuals on the floor is both unsanitary and unsafe and it is humiliating and uncomfortable.
So why not install an adult shower and changing table that can accommodate various people with different needs?
You can adjust the height of the changing table using the controls on the table.
Bathrooms with an adult changing table improve the experience of the users
Meet the users of shower and changing tables
Click the images below to learn more about the lives of users who need shower and changing tables.
See solutions for shower and changing tables
SCT 2000 and SCT 2100 shower change table, electrically height adjustable
Get the complete design guide
We have gathered much more information in our complete design guide for accessible bathrooms.
You will get all the necessary knowledge, tips and tricks in relation to designing bathrooms with a focus on flexibility and special needs, with specific drawings and examples.
Do you want to know more?
You are welcome to contact us if you have questions about shower and changing tables or if you need help with finding the right one.
ADA compliant consultancy
Keeping track of requirements for ADA compliant bathroom design can be challenging in a project with many other aspects. By involving Pressalit early in your process, we can help ensure ADA compliance when it comes to designing the optimal, accessible bathroom and taking all necessary precautions into consideration.
Please contact us for more information.
Please click on the links below for more guidance, knowledge and inspiration.